"WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT ENGRAVED IN STONE MONUMENTS, BUT WOVEN INTO THE LIVES OF OTHERS". -PERICLES
I learned quilting more twenty years ago, and am passionate about my art. I feel driven to create, and cannot imagine a day where fabric, thread, and surface design does not feed my soul. I started quilting after my grandmother died, as a way of feeling closer to her. She had been a quilter, and would be amazed at all the tools and gadgets I use in my craft. She cut and sewed "the old-fashioned" way, without a sewing machine or rotary cutter. My first memory of a quilt is a Double-Wedding Ring quilt my grandmother had made. I thought it was so beautiful. As a small child, I remember aching for the day when I was grown-up and could have a Double-Wedding Ring quilt of my own, as I thought only married women could have one. I enjoy teaching and sharing my love of textiles with others. As a former IT professional, I seek ways to use my fancy, computerized sewing machines in innovative ways, such as:
- I use my Bernina sewing machine, with the cutwork tool accessory attached, to cut fabric for appliqué and quilting;
- I use Electric Quilt software and Adobe Illustrator to design quilts;
- I digitize embroidery designs in Bernina's Designer Plus Software;
- I digitize quilting designs in Art and Stitch and Auto-Pilot software for use on my longarm quilting machine;
- I manipulate photos in Kaleidoscope Kreator, and other photo-editing software, for use in multi-media and textiles.
My professional affiliations include the following: IAPQ (International Association of Professional Quilters), IMQA (International Machine Quilters Association), SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates), and American Quilter's Society (AQS). I belong to the following quilt guilds: Minnesota Contemporary Quilter's (MCQ) and Upper Midwest Machine Quilter's Guild (UMMQ). To see more of my work, please visit my longarm site textiletreasures.co or click on the external link (listed to the left) to visit a virtual gallery of my work.
Finally, as geeky as it sounds, I am a "Certified Threadologist" from Superior Threads. What's that mean? I attended the School of Threadology with Bob Purcell and his talented crew. And I am not afraid to adjust the upper and bobbin tension on my machine so I can use any thread my heart desires.
- I am speaking at the Northern Illinois longarm quilt guild on October 3, 2015 in Wheaton, IL at 9:30am. The topic of my presentation is “Fresh Ideas in Quilt Design”.
- I am speaking at the Minnesota Contemporary Quilt guild on August 24th, 2015 at 7PM. They meet at the Textile Center in Minneapolis, MN. The topic of my presentation is how to craft a thread painted sculpted bowl.
- I am speaking at the Seams longarm quilt guild in Rochester, MN on March 5 at 7PM; the topic of my presentation is “Studio Organization; Confessions of a Neat Freak".
- I am teaching 4 classes at “Birds of a Feather” in Virginia Beach, VA February 6-8, 2015.
- I am speaking at the “Lakeshore Quilters” in Shoreview, Minnesota on January 27, 2015 at 7PM. The presentation is on my book, “The Quilt Block Book” and features a trunk show of my work as well.
- I am teaching 4 classes at MQX “Machine Quilter’s Exposition” in Springfield, IL September 24-27, 2014.
- I am speaking at the “Women of the West (WOW)” in Medina, Minnesota on September 22, 2014 from 7-9PM. The presentation is on my book, “The Quilt Block Book” and features a trunk show of my work as well.
- My quilt (part of a group quilt made by 12 members of the Truly Unruly small quilt group) won a Judges Choice award at the Minnesota Quilt show in June, 2014.
- I am teaching a class on thread painting a textile bowl (using a domestic sewing machine) to the Women of the West (WOW) quilt guild on April 22, 2014 from 12-4pm at the Four Seasons Quilt Shop.
- I am presenting on quilt marking techniques at the Upper Midwest Machine Quilter’s guild on March 8, 2014 at 11pm.
- I am speaking at the “Mixed Sampler Quilt Guild” in Siren Wisconsin on January 11, 2014. The presentation is on my book, “The Quilt Block Book” and features a trunk show of my work as well.
- I am teaching an ABM Innova Auto Pilot class titled “Train the Trainers” at Boersma’s on October 8, 2013. On October 9, 2013 I am teaching an ABM Innova Auto Pilot class to new owners at the same location.
- I am speaking at the Upper Midwest Machine Quilter’s Longarm Guild on October 12, 2013 at 11am. For more info, check here. The presentation is titled “It’s Not A Quilt Until It’s Quilted”.
- I am having a book signing and presentation at the Quilters of North Dakota quilt guild on September 28, 2012 at 1PM.
- I am speaking at an Author Lunch / Book Signing at the Textile Center on September 19, 2013 from 12-1PM. Details here.
- I am teaching 5 classes at the Birds of a Feather longarm event on February 7-9, 2014 in Virgina Beach, Virginia.
- Excited to announce the publication of my book, "The Quilt Block Book". It was a labor of love. At 192 pages long, it features 75 blocks (pieced, foundation, and appliqué) with a fresh modern twist.
- I am participating in a tour of my studio on August 3, 2013 from 1-5PM with the Minnesota Quilter’s.
- I am speaking at the May, 2013 Minnesota Quilter's quilt guild meetings. On May 2 the topic is "Studio Organization" and on May 4 the topic is "It's Not A Quilt Until It's Quilted". In the afternoon on May 4, I am teaching a class on quilt marking titled "Making Your Mark" as well.
- I am speaking at the Old Capitol Quilter's Guild in Iowa City on "Studio Organization" on May 13. On May 14, I am teaching a class, "It's Not A Quilt Until It's Quilted".
- Four of my creations appeared in the 2013 edition of the Fiber Art Almanac, including the quilt featured on the cover. I started with a piece of fabric dyed by my dear friend, Nancy Birger. I quilted the fabric, and then hand-painted it. You can see the quilt here.'
- Three of my creations appeared in the Fiber Art Almanac Companion Journal.
- In Autumn 2012, my work appeared in "McCall's America Quilts Together".
- In 2011, my quilt titled “Heather Feather” won a “Viewer’s Choice” award at the Minnesota Quilter’s Annual Quilt Show.